Monday, March 14, 2011

Beer Review: Raging Bitch Belgian IPA

Raging Bitch Belgian IPA - Flying Dog - USA - 8.3%

Brew: I've been looking forward to this since the day I ordered it. Did it disappoint? It did not.

"Nectar imprisoned in a bottle."

...and it couldn't be described better. Right from the first sniff, it has a raging bitch of a sweet toffee & molasses aroma. *cough*seewhatIdidthere*cough* The highly caramelised toffee smell makes me think of rock toffee and boiled lollies, then the bubblegummy-alcoholic and biscuity malt smell makes me smile.

The initial sweet, honey, caramelly flavour is balanced out by the dry biscuity malt, with the hops announcing themselves later on to clean up the leftovers.

Beer is all about balance. You'll always hear that. Even when you're being given the sales pitch for an unbalanced beer. But this has an extra level of balance to it that is rarely seen; its drinkability. I find that most high alcohol beers (7.5% and above) are either sippers of sneakers. They'll either make their alcohol content known from the start and make sure you're aware of what you're in for, or they are so deceptive you wouldn't even know it's a strong beer if you weren't told and drink it as casually as any other and have it sneak up on you. I can sip this beer and slowly enjoy it, or I can enjoy it at a much faster pace. I'd drink this everyday if I could, but that's not to say I wouldn't try to drink the other hundred or so in my list of top beers each day if I were able.

4.4 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment